Tips for Beautiful Winter Photo Sessions
There is a special kind of magic that comes with outdoor, winter photo sessions. The snow lightly falling or golden leaves on the branches create a lovely backdrop for any photo session. Here are some tips to make your winter photo sessions go smoothly.
- Dress warmly. You will be surprised at how often this is overlooked. Since you’ll be standing outside for a long period of time, short sleeves, thin fabrics, and open toe shoes will not be comfortable for very long. Shivering makes it hard to look happy and pose properly. .
- Watch the weather. Warmer days may seem more pleasant but melting snow can change the entire look of your backdrop. If you are looking for light snow flurries, try and keep an eye on the weather forecast to make sure that you don’t end up with melting or heavy snow.
- Be flexible. If the weather isn’t exactly what you had hoped for, see if you can still make the photo session work. If you are however scheduling this session in advance, you may just have to work with the weather on that particular day.
- Incorporate colour. Even though fall and winter have some amazing colors to work with, why not wear a splash of colour to really stand out in your photos? For example, vibrant shades of blues and greens look amazing amongst crunchy brown leaves.
- Plan your day. Taking your photos just after the sun rises or just before it sets will provide you with amazing lighting so try and plan your session around those times.
Take some hot tea or coffee along to make your photo session even more enjoyable and get ready for some beautiful results.
Sue Kennedy is a professional photographer who specialises in maternity, newborn, baby and child photography. She works from her professional studio at Parndon Mill in Harlow, which is easily accessible from the M11 corridor serving Hertfordshire, Essex, London and Cambridgeshire. https://www.suekennedy.co.uk/