Deciding what to wear in your family photoshoot can be just as challenging as finding the perfect photographer!
After all, these are photos you are going to hang on your walls and cherish for years to come.
It can seem overwhelming when considering what to wear, but it doesn’t need to be.
So if you’re wondering what to wear for your upcoming portrait session…
Use my top 7 tips below to help you pick out the perfect wardrobe for you and your family:
- What is the purpose of the photoshoot? This should be your first thought when deciding what to wear. Is it a Christmas shoot? Or an announcement for your second child? Choose an appropriate outfit for the occasion and something that suits your personality.
- Keep the location and season in mind. Where is the photoshoot taking place? Choose an outfit that will keep you feeling comfortable and confident. For example, if you’re on a beach, those new high heels might not be the most logical choice and you might end up looking a bit out of place.
- Mix and match. Don’t be afraid to wear patterns or prints for your photoshoot. But try to keep them to a minimum and pair them with solid colours. If you’re having a family photoshoot for example, have two family members in printed items and two in solid colours. Play with different colours to match the mood and setting of the shoot.
- Make your photos timeless. You might love that trendy top or dress now, but will your photos stand the test of time if you wear that item of clothing? (We all remember the hairsprayed hair and shoulder pads of the 80s!)
- Choose your makeup. If you’re looking to create a high fashion shoot, then by all means, throw on more dramatic makeup. But for your everyday maternity, family or portrait shoots, I suggest you keep your makeup natural and to a minimum.
- Fit is more important than you think. We’ve all had those tops that looks great from the front, but unflattering from the side, right? So if you already have an outfit in mind for your shoot, try it on beforehand to make sure that it fits the way you like.
- Easy on the logos. Wearing too much clothing with prominent brand names just makes you look like a walking ad. Avoid clothing with large graphics on it because they’ll draw focus away from your photos.
So there you have it – my top 7 tips to help you decide what to wear for your photoshoot!
Most importantly, remember to have fun, be yourself and don’t hesitate to ask your photographer for guidance.
If you enjoyed reading this blog ‘How to decide what to wear for your photoshoot’ please consider sharing it with your friends.
About the photographer: Sue is a professional portrait photographer based in Harlow, Essex and she specialises in baby and child portraiture. Being a parent, she understands just how special your child is to you and her aim is to produce a collection of images that are natural and meaningful to your family. No two moments are ever the same and she wants to perfectly capture those early precious memories and the natural character of your child. For more information please call 01279 433392, visit the Sue Kennedy Photography website and follow Sue on Facebook or Instagram.